Former Fighting Sioux defenseman Joe Finley has been signed by the Buffalo Sabres. If you have lost track of Joe Finley, this is the first year since leaving college that big Joe has been remotely healthy. If you go to Joe Finley Hockey fights page you will see that Joe has been wracking up the fights as well since leaving college. Sounds like Finley is doing what ever it takes to help his team win games.
The 6-foot-8, 260-pound Finley has two points (1g, 1a) and a plus-10 rating in 18 games played with the the Rochester Americans and leads the team with 57 penalty minutes. Finley, 24, is in his third professional season out of the University of North Dakota and has totaled one goal, two assists and 79 PIM in 26 career AHL games with Rochester and Hershey.
The Edina, Minn., native was originally selected by the Washington Capitals in the first round (27th overall) of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
He was signed to an AHL contract by the Rochester Americans on Oct. 4, 2011.
- Injury-riddled Buffalo Sabres recall top prospect Zack Kassian from AHL (thehockeynews.com)
- Banged-up Sabres sending three back to AHL (espn.go.com)
- Sabres pummel Caps with Youth (insidehockey.com)
- Rolston lifts Isles to 2-1 win over Sabres (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- NHL Free Agency 2011: Buffalo Sabres Re-Sign Sekera and Ellis (bleacherreport.com)