GRAND FORKS, N.D. – University of North Dakota Athletics Director Brian Faison announced today the rebranding of several organizations and media and Internet platforms affiliated with UND Athletics.
The rebranding initiative is a result of the retirement of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, as directed by the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education. The transition process for both is to be substantially completed by Dec. 31, 2011. Beginning on that date, UND’s varsity athletics teams will operate without an official nickname or corresponding logo until at least Jan. 1, 2015, as mandated by the North Dakota State Legislature.
• The Fighting Sioux Club, the official fundraising arm for UND Athletics, has been renamed the North Dakota Champions Club.
• Sioux Crew, which promotes student involvement and attendance at UND Athletics events, has been renamed NoDak Nation.
• The Sioux Boosters club has been renamed the UND Boosters, and the weekly fan luncheons have been renamed the UND
• The Sioux Kids Club will retain its name for the duration of the 2011-12 season due to contractual obligations with sponsors.
• The Sioux-Per Swing golf tournaments have been renamed the North Dakota Champions Golf Tour.
• The Sioux-Per Gala has been renamed A Night of Champions: UND Athletics Auction and Gala.
• The Fighting Sioux Sports Network (television) has been renamed the UND Sports Network, and the Fighting Sioux Radio
Network has been renamed the UND Radio Network.
• UND’s weekly television show, Sioux Sports Extra, has been renamed UND Sports Extra, while the weekly Fighting Sioux
Coaches Show (radio) has been renamed the UND Coaches Show.
• All television and radio network opening and closing billboards have been revised to reflect the changes.
• UND Athletics’ official website, FightingSioux.com, has been renamed UNDSports.com